LEAF 2014 - The Movie

Joseph Serves Those in Need

Food Prep, Serving in Glide's Dining Rooms, Sharing Lunch With Friends, Survey@Farmers' Market

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Marine Mammal Center and Rodeo Watershed

Our waste impacts other animal’s life cycles. The waste and trash us humans produce gets in the animals habitats and hurts not just the animals but the environment too. Sometimes the animals figure the trash is food and they eat it and die. This is how humans effect the animal’s life cycles. Today when we went to Rodeo beach, I expected an unhealthy watershed because where the watershed is, there is a lot of trash and abandon buildings, metal and other stuff that can harm the environment. When we tested the water, there was a thin layer of algae covering the water. This is a sign that the water is not healthy because the light can not reach the bottom of the stream so plants and other things can not grow on the bottom. For me, the Rodeo watershed was not new. I knew the watershed was unhealthy and has not been getting better since the last time I was there. The highlight of the day was hanging out with my friends.

~ Josh

My 3rd day of leaf, I went to the Marine Mammal Center where they treated marine mammals in need. I thought it was nice that people were willing to help marine mammals but I felt bad that most of the animals in there were from trash that people put in the ocean. After leaving the Marine Mammal Center we want to a watershed to test how healthy the watershed is.  We could only see some test at first because some of them we have to check in a couple days later. The results we did get to see weren’t too healthy but some how there was a whole lot of life in the water.

~ Joseph

Today at LEAF I had an amazing adventure. I went the Marine Mammal Center, the beach, and on a ferry.

At the Marine Mammal Center I looked at poop, learned how our waste affects the animals in the sea, and that I can volunteer to save the injured animals when I am 15 years old.  I also found out that I can 'adopt' an injured animal by sending $30 to help them. I really want to do that and help them in any way I can.

~ Rou Rou

As interesting as the marine mammal center is, the tour has been mostly the same both times I had been there.

The beach, however, had changed. When I was there last the stairs leading down to the beach where just a pile of rocks. I don't remember the showers being there. The shocking number of jellyfish I saw today where not there previously. Looking back on today I realize, using a piece of driftwood with rusty nails sticking out of the sides was not the best thing to collect them on.

~ Robert

LEAF was super super, super cool!

The Marine Mammals Center was cool. I wish we had actually seen some marine mammals, though. The only ones we saw today were from far away. I liked the fish-milkshake visualizing activity. That was hilarious.

The beach was awesome. My jeans and feet got super wet. BUT I REGRET NOTHING! Okay, maybe a few things, but not much.

~ Max

Today we went to the Marine Mammal Center and learned about how the rescue animals. Our waste impacts the cycle and all life in those cycles because our trash flows into the ocean and harms animals. For example, today we examined sea lion scat and took a closer look at what they eat. When I thought about the seals they might get confused with their food and our trash. They might try to eat our trash and get tangled and die. After the Marine Mammal Center we went to Rodeo Watershed and tested the water quality. The water looked dirty because the duckweed but when we tested the water the results were either excellent or firmly favorite part was going on the ferry because it was my first time going with friends. There were lots of positive energy spreading all around us. I can't wait to go kayaking tomorrow:)

~ Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Preview Activity - Watch "Running the Gauntlet"